1. Love your body! It’s the only one you have for the rest of you life so love it and take care of it by moving through dance, exercise or other movements that make you feel good! What comes first? the chicken or the egg? Doing Burlesque can build body confidence for any gender, age, shape, size or ability.
2. Dancing can boost endorphins which are brain chemicals that make you feel good! Dancing for even 5 minutes can change your mood and all you need is music and yourself!
3. Play music you love and dance if you want to! Play music that makes you feel your best as no two Burlesque dancers do anything the same! Make something up or improve it!
4. Life is too short for someday! The best time to start is now, not when you WANT to feel ready. Practice makes perfect- practicing for yourself is a good as practicing it for someone else. It builds muscle memory in your body AND your brain!
5. Do it for YOU. Part of loving yourself means finding things to do that you love and make you feel good. No permission or validation needed here. Do what makes you feel beautiful and healthy and vibrant.
6. Your body doesn’t know the difference between what’s happening in reality or in your imagination so imagine things that feel good. Imagine yourself loving yourself as you do this. Imagine doing this for others and how exciting and fun it will be.
7. Take classes! There are in-person and online classes avail for anyone and everyone. Wanna learn to walk gracefully, spin quickly, tassel twirl or use feather fans like Sally Rand? In-person and skype classes are the best way to learn quickly!
8. Wear whatever you want! Love rhinestones and sequins? Get the glitziest dress you can find or get some rhinestones and bedazzle that old gown in the back of your closet. Feel your best in a robe? grab one in chiffon, satin or silk and sashay to your heart’s content. Maybe you have pretty lingerie you’ve been saving. Wear it for yourself!
9. Legends of Burlesque are women who danced in the 1940’s through the 1970’s. Some of these women are still performing Burlesque around the world at 60-80 years old. They are celebrated and revered for their contribution to feminism and the art of Burlesque worldwide. They are proof that age is not a barrier!
10. Enter smiling. Its an old hollywood phrase and it’s true. When you smile, everyone wants to smile back or talk to you. It’s an energetic calling card.